Saturday, June 11, 2011

Walmart in Cancun

My internet connection wasn't working right so I'm a little late with today's Exotic Food Adventure post. But what an adventure it was!

We got a tip from friend who suggested that we go to Walmart to buy bottled water at a discounted price. Wow! A Walmart? Cool. That sounds familiar! It looked familiar too; like all of the words in Spanish...that was similar! ;)

But in many ways, it was so foreign. I whipped out my iPhone and snapped a few photos so you could see what I mean.


Jicama? I've never heard of this before but people were putting it into their cart and walking off with it so they must know what to do with it!


You can see that Carson got a lot of sun too!






Mamey? The kids were just as fascinated as I was!














This is the Papaya that I referred to in my last post.









We noticed this Prickly Pear something-or-another is served with many of the meals. We still don't know for sure what it is. It has kind of a sour flavor. When I pointed it out to Kathy, she reminded me to use the "Claw."

Now when you pick a pawpaw
Or a prickly pear
And you prick a raw paw
Next time beware
Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw
When you pick a pear
Try to use the claw
But you don't need to use the claw
When you pick a pear of the big pawpaw
Have I given you a clue ?

Look for the bare necessities
The simple bare necessities
Forget about your worries and your strife
I mean the bare necessities
That's why a bear can rest at ease
With just the bare necessities of life


The fish department had a wide selection. It also had a powerful scent that the kids didn't care for much!










Dad showed us some of the finer points of the fresh seafood. The kids were pretty grossed out by the octopus. I'm trying to imagine myself putting that into a bag and then putting it into my cart to take home and eat...but I can't imagine it.







I have never seen so much yogurt in my life! Yogurt must be pretty big here or something.













There was one type of pizza offered...but nobody was interested; I think it had something to do with the hot dog topping. Not our favorite! Of course, as I always say to the kids, don't knock it till you've tried it and I can say with certainty that I've never tried this before.






2 comments:

  1. That reminds me of the Wal-Mart in Brazil. I love seeing what other people in other cultures eat. I bet they had a big section on chilies. I like their hot stuff. See if you can find a good recipe for a HOT empanadas recipe. I got a good recipe from one of the restaurants there but I have misplaced it. They were the best I have ever eaten. They are usually pretty good about giving up their recipes. Sure looks like you guys are having a GREAT time. Keep it up. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jicama is yummy. Just peel and slice into thin strips to munch on, julienne and add to salads for a nice crunch or cook and season like potatos. Yogurt is a VERY popular item too.

    Prickly pear cactus leaves are a staple in Mexican cooking and are very good. They are also used to make napolitos (pickled cactus) that I use in my chili rellenos. The ones you show have had the thorns (prickleys) removed alrady. Just wash, dip them in boiling water and scrape the skin off and cut up for soups, stews, etc.

    Mameys have different tastes depending on the type and location. They do have a white fiber between the peel and fruit like an orange that is very bitter if not removed. Overripe and under ripe also cause bitterness. That is one fruit that is best left to the experts to prepare in my opionion. The taste is a cross between apricots and red raspberry.

    What were the prices based one? lb? ounce? kilogram? I couldn't figure out the writing.

    Looks like all are having fun and you might need to invest in a bottle of aloe vera gel (WalMart has it in the pharmacy area) or a very large aloe plant to help with those sunburns.
    Have fun & keep up the blog. WaHa

    ReplyDelete