Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Batida de Lechoza (Papaya Milkshake)

We were excited to begin our Exotic Food Adventure in Cancun. Our flight to Cancun arrived late last night. It was too dark to really see anything but WOW what a surprise we had when we woke up this morning. If this is not paradise, I don't know what is!




The ocean is an amazing shade of blue that I have never seen before.




The kids were ready to swim but we figured we better eat first.


The fresh fruit we ate with our breakfast was amazing! The pineapple was like candy. It wasn't just that it was really sweet...it seemed less acidic and less harsh.

The papaya was new to almost everyone's palate. My daughter Brennah loved it. I liked it but I prefer to put it in a blender and eat it like this:


I learned to make Batida de Lechoza while serving a two year mission for my church in the Dominican Replublic. This is probably the most popular fruit juice in the Dominican Republic. And for a good reason.

Time: 15 mins. Serves: 4

Ingredients:

2 cups of papaya cut in cubes
1 cup of sugar
1 tablespoon of vanilla
4 cups of evaporated milk
2 1/2 cup of ice cubes


Preparation:

You should give this a try! Just put all the ingredients in the blender and keep on at high speed until the ice is blended. Serve immediately.

The oatmeal was amazing for some unknown reason. Surprising, huh? It was smooth, tender, and tasty. The breakfast sausage was...well...not so good. Nobody really like it very much. The skin was very tough and it seemed like really moist Jerky!

We drank watermelon juice with breakfast which was very unusual...but really good. We also drank a green concoction which (except for the green color) reminded me a little of V8 because of the celery flavor. I liked it but most of the kids (and Kathy) cringed slightly at the taste.




After breakfast, we hit the beach and enjoyed this carribean paradise!




After swimming in the ocean for a while, we played in the swimming pools.





Finally, we went to the hotel room exhausted and before I finished getting dressed, the kids...








...and Kathy...





...discovered the Ciesta! The fresh air and ocean play zapped our strength.

Well, everyone but me. I was too busy writing this post...but I sure wanted to sleep. It felt like someone had drugged me!





And, who could sleep with a sunburn like mine! You can pretty much see every swipe Kathy made with the sunscreen. I can feel every missed spot!

Well, today was quite an adventure. I am curious to know if anyone can get papaya and try the Batida de Lechoza recipe...and if so, how you like it! Please let me know.

I wonder what we will discover tomorrow! Considering that Andan drank ice water and that I forgot and brushed my teeth with water from the tap (both of which we were advised not to do), I hope we don't discover the meaning of Montezuma's Revenge!

2 comments:

  1. What GREAT photos. Dan , take care of that sunburn I no that can be painful. I had that shake when I was in Cancun, it was amazing. I am so glad you got the recipe, now I can make it here. Make sure you try their chile rellenoes, they are fantastic. Keep the recipes coming. Watch that SUN, it WIULL get you. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water looks beautiful and inviting!! Going to find some papaya and make that shake with my new VitaMix blender. Enjoy Cancun. Keep the pictures and recipes coming.

    ReplyDelete