Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sub Sea Adventure



The kids loved the boat ride that we went on today. All of our senses were alive as we soaked up the scenery, the smells, and the feel of the ocean. It was such a fun adventure! The water was so crystal clear that you could see the bottom of the ocean from the top of the boat. At one point, we even saw a mantaree swimming along the ocean floor!





The boat took us out to a submarine-type vessel anchored near a huge coral reef. Kathy didn't love it quite as much as everyone else. See the look on her face? That's the look of someone who doesn't quite have their sea legs yet.





We went down into the bottom of this sub to go on an under-water adventure.





We saw tons of colorful fish and corals.





We were even fortunate enough to catch a glimpse of a rare sea creature when a mermade swam by!





The dinner recommendation we received took us to La Destileria.





The boys liked the decorations. The ambiance was nice. I really liked the view of the harbor out the huge windows. I wanted to eat outside on the deck but the girls preferred the air conditioning inside.




Andan wanted me to take this picture of him behind bars. What a ham!





I guess this is the distillery that the restaurant derives its name from...or at least a replica of it. They're pretty excited about the Tequila here in Cancun. We don't drink alcohol so we haven't tried it but they pretty much offer it to you wherever you go. After being couped up in a hotel room with all these kids for a couple weeks, I'm afraid I might find Kathy down at the bar one of these nights! Just kidding! :)





We all enjoyed the uniqueness of the Destileria Soup: A Delicious black bean cream soup with gouda cheese, bacon, noodles and spring onions. I've never had anything quite like it before.





My Dad enjoyed Chicken Mocajete: A delicious combination of nopales, chorizo, fresh cheese, beans and avocado, served with your house salsa and fresh hand-made tortillas.





Danny really liked his Chimichanga. In addition to the great taste, the green sauce that it is served on really has a powerful visual effect.





I went with the Coriander Fish Fillet prepared over a light creamy coriander sauce, served with mushrooms, rice and steamed vegetables. The fish was very tender and fresh...and surprisingly filling. The steamed vegetables really hit the spot. I made the right choice. We tried a wide variety of dishes and then did the old "everybody pass your dish to the right" move half-way through the meal so we could get a taste of the other meals. Kathy was pretty eager to switch and I quickly found out why. Her meal came with a hot sauce that really lit up my mouth! I couldn't get my Coriander Fish Fillet back fast enough!





Dinner was very good...but the desserts were fantastic! We picked a couple and shared them.





This crepe dish was our favorite. It had nuts and ice cream wrapped inside. The pool of butterscotch that it was sitting on was the perfect topping. Watching the nine of us eat these two desserts probably must have looked like a pack of wolves after the kill. I'm just glad the little boys didn't pick up the plate and start licking it..............otherwise I wouldn't have been able to! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Looks like some FABULOUS FOOD. What a vacation to remember. I am sure after 2 weeks you guys will be glad to get back home and have some of Kathy's great cooking, I know I would be. Keep up the good time. Rob

    ReplyDelete