Friday, January 8, 2010

Cook'n Under Pressure

Even though the holidays are past, doesn't it seem like life is still a bit hectic? Maybe I need to get more organized or something, but I still feel so under pressure to get stuff done (work, home, family, blah blah blah). This got me to thinking about what I can do to simplify and make things easier where I can.

And so I remembered something my mom used to do when I was a kid--on especially busy days she'd use her pressure cooker to get dinner on (things cook three to ten times faster). Have you used one? I haven't, but I definitely intend to start! I took a look at the cooker we sell here at DVO Enterprises, and our cookbook CD, Cook'n Under Pressure, and I really think I can do this, especially since the CD includes pressure cooking guides.

Besides the recipes for grains and rice, beans and lentils, vegetables, desserts, meat/poultry/and fish, and soups/stews, the meal-in-a-pot recipes may well be my answer to this chronic frenzy I'm feeling. It's worth a try, and I'll be reporting back. Meanwhile, how about offering any ideas YOU have for slowing life down and making things easier? Especially, if you have pressure cooker tips or recipes, won't you share?

Speaking of sharing, here's a pressure cooker recipe my Aunt Annie used a lot during the 40's. (I am so glad I was able to save her recipes and have them organized in my Cook'n Recipe Organizer--what a blessing it 's been to my family!) Try this great soup on a busy and blustery day:

20-MINUTE LENTIL SOUP (serves 8)


1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large yellow onion
l large carrot
5 plum tomatoes
4 garlic cloves
2 tsp dried tarragon
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp paprika
6 C water or vegetable broth
2 C brown lentils
2 bay leaves
1 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
3 pinches black pepper

Place lentils in pressure cooker. Peel carrot, onion and garlic cloves, seed tomatoes. Add the vegetables, whole, to pressure cooker along with bay leaves (it's OK if the tomatoes are cut in half).

Add cold water or broth, salt to taste, paprika and herbs to pressure cooker and bring to boil, uncovered. When it starts to boil, place pressure-cooker cover and seal. When the pressure indicator rises, let cook 8 minutes.

Turn off heat, carefully move handle to safe position to eliminate pressure. Wait for all steam to clear and open.

Discard bay leaf. Transfer onion, carrot (carefully; it's very soft), tomatoes and garlic to a mixing bowl and blend. You might need to quarter the onion to get it properly blended. Return pureed veggies to lentils, mix well and serve with French bread. YUM!

Let me know if you like this soup, and to close, thanks for reading and being part of the Cook'n family! I can't tell ya how much we appreciate the opportunity to be part of your life! Happy cook'n!

No comments:

Post a Comment