Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Streamlined Kitchen Gets Us Ready for Anything!

While I'm worn out with the cold weather and dreary days, I'm a little anxious about the coming of Spring. Why? Because warmer weather means more demands on my time--gardening, yard work, etc. and I want to stick with my New Year's Goal of cooking good meals at least 4 nights a week. I already feel like I'm spread thinner than a drink of water, so how am I going to cope with the less-time issue in a few weeks?

I'm going to streamline my kitchen down to the bare bones. I talked about the process in an earlier post, but I just need to visit with you about it once more (kind of like a mom that tells her teenager to be careful as he gets in the car to drive to school--my kids always used to say "NAH, I'm gonna drive like a maniac!" Just saying it made me feel better I guess.). I'm thinking that if I'm feeling overwhelmed, maybe others are too.

Anyway, when I say "streamline" the kitchen, I mean getting rid of anything I don't like, don't use, don't need, don't want, and don't have room for. I'll be going through every cupboard, drawer, and the pantry with the goal in mind of eliminating things and reorganizing what's left (the keepers). The purpose in this project will be to create a more user-friendly kitchen. I don't want to hunt for things anymore, and I don't want to paw through stuff to get to the things I really use and like. I want to be able to find what I need, when I need it, quickly and easily. Research says we'll spend 2 years of our life just looking for things. I don't have that kind of time to waste--getting the clutter out means a definite savings in time, which is just what I need more of!

The folks at DVO are sharing my angst a little also, which is why I think Dan is running a special on my DVD, "It's Here Somewhere In the Kitchen." (Dan and Kathy raise chickens, strawberries, and a family garden, as well as cook not just for their family, but for Cook'n video demonstrations.) They know the value of a streamlined kitchen and want all their Cook'n users to experience the same benefits. (It was in Dan and Kathy's kitchen that we created the DVD, where I show you step-by-step how to customize any kitchen to the needs and lifestyle of the user.)

So, I'm going to get my kitchen BACK in shape and you might want to join me--get yours ready for what the change in season might have in store for you. And if you decide to join me and run into any problems or issues you have questions on, you can always email me at alice@dvo.com. I am here for ya! Of course, as I always say, we're all in this together, so I welcome YOUR tips and ideas on how to create a more user-friendly kitchen as well. I promise you, if you haven't lived clutter free, it's the best. It gives new meaning to "happy cook'n!"

Now, speaking of gardening, before you know it we'll have the proverbial extra zucchini we won't know what to do with. So just for fun, and to help us get ready for the bounty, here's a healthy zucchini-using recipe that my family really liked when they were all home, and I thought you might like it too:

LENTIL BURRITOS (serves 4)
1 C lentils
2 C water
1/2 C finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Dash hot pepper sauce
1 C chopped zucchini
1 C chopped green or sweet red pepper
4 oz Monterey Jack cheese, cubed or shredded
Eight flour tortillas

Cook the lentils, water, onion, garlic, cumin, and pepper sauce for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the lentils are barely tender. Drain, if necessary. Toss the lentils with the taco sauce, zucchini, pepper, and cheese.

Spread about 1/2 C of the lentil mixture down the center of each tortilla and roll up. Serve the burritos cold, or wrap each in a dampened paper towel and heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes each, or until the burritos are hot through and the cheese begins to melt. Like a typical bean burrito, these are scrumptious served with diced avocado and sour cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment