Monday, April 5, 2010

Beauty From the Kitchen!

Did you know a product you likely have in your kitchen cupboard or pantry has magical properties? I'm talking about cold-pressed sesame oil and I'm talking about health and beauty magic. Its unique chemical structure allows it to penetrate the skin easily, providing you with health benefits including stress reduction, increased immunity, and pain relief. Best of all, it has many natural antioxidants, which explains its reputation for slowing the aging process.

I can't get enough of this stuff. Here's what I do with it: Into a new bottle of this oil I add a few drops of my two favorite essential oils (I love lavender and orange). I then put the bottle in a cup of hot water to warm for five minutes. The makes the oil thinner and easier to apply. After slathering myself from top to bottom, I get a face cloth and pat off the excess oil. I wrap up in a terry robe for a little while, I'm just a tad greasy until my skin absorbs the oil (and it doesn't take long).

Health food stores carry good essential oils as well as excellent grades of cold-pressed sesame oil, and there are online resources as well. Be sure to store the oils in a cool, dark place. Also good to know: the shelf life of all unrefined oil is only about six months. I call this oil my "miracle oil" and I often make up a batch, pour it into small dark brown bottles, and give it as gifts.

Another hot beauty potion we'll find in our kitchens is the wonderful orange. many swear by topical vitamin C. It can stimulate collagen production and can minimize fine lines. If you don't want to spend big bucks on the topical serums found in high-end department stores or health food stores, just go the sticky route and rub a slice of an organic orange over your face three times per week.

Do YOU have any great "from-the-kitchen" beauty tips you can share? Please do--we're all in this together, so let's spread the good stuff. And until next time, here's to softer and prettier skin, and of course, here's to happy cook'n!

No comments:

Post a Comment